By now you’ve done your research and found that redwood offers many advantages over other materials when it comes to fencing. Now it’s time to take a closer look at design options that are available to those that want to build a redwood fence and the ways you can customize your design.
Redwood Fencing Materials: Pre-Assembled Fence Panels Kits vs. Boards and Posts
There are many Humboldt Redwood fence products to choose from, but which one will work best for your project? There are two main options for building a redwood fence: pre-assembled paneling or boards and posts. To decide which option is ideal consider the following:
Ease of Installation – Pre-assembled fence panels have an advantage over building with boards and posts when it comes to the time and energy it takes to install the fence. Pre-assembled fence panels come with panels that are 6’ high and 8’ wide. You’ll still have to install posts, but because entire sections are already put together fencing goes up faster compared to putting up each board individually.
Cost – While both options are affordable, typically pre-assembled paneling will cost more because some of the work has already been done for you. However, when calculating the true cost factor in the added time it will take to build a fence from scratch. If you are hiring contractors the price difference can be made up in lower labor costs.
Terrain – Where the fence will be built will influence whether paneling or posts and boards are the better option. For flat terrain pre-assembled redwood fence panels will be quicker and easier to put up, however if there are changes to the grade of the ground this might make installation trickier. Post and board fence building will work across all types of terrain.
Style and Finish – What style of fence did you have in mind? There are many different styles of Humboldt Redwood fencing including lattice top, flat, dog eared and ridge & valley. All offer excellent structural integrity and their own unique look. Different styles are available depending on whether you choose to work with boards or paneling so this is a significant consideration when deciding which option is best. Humboldt Redwood fencing is also offered in a number of grades, which will affect the finished look and feel of the fence.
Customization – Because nothing is pre-fabricated, board and post construction offers you more opportunities to customize your fence. You won’t be limited to the design and style of the pre-assembled panels and adding in additional features won’t be a problem.
Redwood Fence Design Ideas for Creating a Custom Look
Fences serve many purposes, which is reflected in the many different redwood fence design options that can be found today. It’s also one of the most easily customizable outdoor structures so even if you use a basic design there are lots of ways to make it your own. Here are a few suggestions for how you can customize a redwood fence design.
- Add an arbor to give the design of the fence more visual interest. This works particularly well with shorter fences.
- Gates are a great way to add uniqueness and functionality to any fence. They can blend in with the rest of the fence or stand out as an entirely different element.
- Add lattice paneling to the top to give the fence more privacy and a unique look.
- Use varying heights of boards to create a staggered design. This is an easy way to kick standard flat style boards up a notch.
- Put a lattice panel in place of boards at a few spots along the fence. This will open up the yard and it can be used to add greenery to the fence.
- Go horizontal with the boards instead of vertical.
- Use different widths of boards and spacing to create an interesting redwood fence design that allows for light and the surrounding environment to come through.
Humboldt Redwood offers fencing materials that have been sustainably harvested and are milled to meet the highest structural integrity standards. No matter what terrain your fence runs across or the design you choose, Humboldt Redwood is up to the task of providing an attractive, strong perimeter for your yard. Find out where to buy Humboldt Redwood to see our high-quality fencing products firsthand.